Q: Hesitation and jerking, delay in shifting

asked by on July 25, 2016

My car has a mileage of 150,000 miles. It runs fine when I start it after it's been sitting for a while. However, when I am driving for about 20 minutes or so in the stop and go traffic, the car starts hesitating and jerking when I bring it to a halt slowly. Also, there is a delay when shifting from drive to reverse and downshifting as well. At the moment of shifting, there is a grinding sound. Each time I decelerate, the car loses power. I have to apply the gas pedal to keep it running. Is this the transmission going out or something else?

When this type of issue occurs, it is due to a failing component. The component can work most of the time, but when it heats up, then the faults will begin. This is not unusual, and has a few common causes. Most common would be the fuel pump, low transmission fluid, MAF sensor, alternator, battery, vacuum leak, or an oxygen sensor. If you need to have this taken care of, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your hesitation and jerking issue in order to make the proper repair.