Q: RPMs going up and down

asked by on February 08, 2016

When I start my car, the RPMs go up and down, over and over. Also, when I turn off my car, it makes a noise.

Idle Control Valve Replacement $146.15 - $920.51 Get a Quote

This is most likely caused by a faulty Idle Air Control valve (IAC valve). This valve regulates the speed of the engine’s idle by creating a controlled vacuum leak in the intake manifold. It is also possible that there may be a vacuum leak that is simulating a bad IAC valve. I would ask for help from one of the mechanics at YourMechanic to come to you and diagnose why your car does not maintain a consistent engine idle speed.