Q: Engine control modules replaced on a newer car

I've recently bought this pre-owned car, which is a 2014 model. Despite being a newer car, it has developed some serious engine problems. One day, I was driving a relatively long distance of about 50 miles. It started having troubles so I took it to the dealership. They had the powertrain control module and the engine control unit replaced. I'm very concerned about the vehicle as it is fairly new and both engine modules have been replaced already. I guess I need your advice. Should I keep the car or sell it? What kind of problems can I expect in the future if I keep the car?

Hi there. These modules are common failures on the Jaguar XF. I am sure that this does not make you feel any better about it, but from my experience, once the modules are replaced you usually do not have any further issues, assuming that new factory modules were used. Many times these modules fail due to voltage issues in the electrical system, so it is important to always make sure that the battery and alternator are good and that all do the ground connections are clean and tight. Your car should be fine for now, but if it begins to have drivability issues, you may want to start looking to sell the car.