Q: Automatic slips into neutral

My car has an automatic transmission, which lately started slipping into neutral during driving. This happens when the engine is still cold, whereas it has no issues when it warms up. How serious is the problem?

Hello. This transmission issue is a serious problem, because eventually the transmission will stop working. The transmission could stop working in the next couple of months or longer. It is possible that there is a problem with the valve body or solenoids in your transmission. It seems like either or both of these components are sticking when the transmission is cold. Letting the truck warm up for an extended period of time will help this issue and may prolong the replacement of the transmission. I suggest having the vehicle inspected by a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, they will be able diagnose your slipping gear and suggest a fix from there.