Q: Hard shifting and thunking noise at the rear end

I have a problem with the transmission on my car, for which I went to the dealership and had it replaced. The problem still exists despite having it replaced. When I apply the pedal to the limit and shift the lever, something starts happening with the lever. It feels as if it is hard to move and there is a grabbing feel to it. Also, there is occasionally a thunking noise that seems to be coming from the rear end. What should I do?

A: Hello. The shift lever should remain stable...

Hello. The shift lever should remain stable unless it’s moved by the driver. If it pops out of gear, even after a transmission replacement, I suggest inspecting the transmission mounts, engine mounts, and subframe bushings. Cases show that the subframe bushings on the rear would go bad and cause a thumping like sound.

Have a technician inspect your rear subframe and bushings. Also check for other component faults which could cause a similar thumping noise such as sway bar end links or strut mounts. I’d recommend enlisting a qualified technician to help you with these checks. Consider YourMechanic, as a qualified technician can come to you and perform these checks to accurately diagnose your shifting issue firsthand.