Q: Transmission overheating

I did not pass the emissions test and it is telling me the transmission in overheating.

A: Hi. The transmission temperature message po...

Hi. The transmission temperature message pops up on your control panel when the powertrain control module (PCM) has detected excessive transmission fluid temperature. This is a warning to the driver as extreme temperatures can damage the transmission. Transmission temperatures can climb when the vehicle is being worked hard (such as towing) or when there is a problem with the transmission or its cooling system. Your vehicle will automatically fail emissions if the Check Engine Light is on. There is a trouble code related to transmission temperature: P0218 transmission over temperature. However, I don't see that your vehicle supports this code. That leads me to believe that your warning light and failed emissions are two separate issues. A trained mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can diagnose the Check Engine Light to make sure exactly what the problem is.