Q: Truck making thunking noise and not starting.

At odd times the truck will not start. In such instances, turning the key in the ignition elicits a thunk sound under the hood on the passenger's side. After an hour, sometimes a day or week, the truck starts just fine. It's not the battery.

The most common problem for the engine that will not crank if the battery is good is the starter. I recommend that starter is checked for proper power getting to it from the battery and the ignition switch before replacing it. I would recommend having a qualified mechanic check the system and recommend a repair.