Q: Truck making thunking noise and not starting.

At odd times the truck will not start. In such instances, turning the key in the ignition elicits a thunk sound under the hood on the passenger's side. After an hour, sometimes a day or week, the truck starts just fine. It's not the battery.

A: The most common problem for the engine that...

The most common problem for the engine that will not crank if the battery is good is the starter. I recommend that starter is checked for proper power getting to it from the battery and the ignition switch before replacing it. I would recommend having a qualified mechanic check the system and recommend a repair.