Q: Engine noise and has no power. It spits and sputters.

asked by on December 12, 2016

I can start the engine, but it will stall if toms drop, I can keep it running by going into gear or neutral and hitting gas. It spits and sputters. Has little to no power and the engine is making a strange noise. I did get it too stay running in drive after about 5 minutes, but it was jumping around.

Fuel Pump Replacement $120.92 - $1182.22 Get a Quote
Engine is sputtering Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Sounds like the fuel pump is not working in your vehicle. Check the fuel pump relay and see if it is clicking on when the key is turned on. If the relay is working, then turn the key on and listen for the fuel pump to activate. If the pump is not activating, then check for power to the fuel pump. If there is power to the fuel pump, but nothing coming back from the fuel pump to the ground, then the fuel pump motor has stopped. Then the fuel pump would need replaced. A faulty fuel pump will cause the engine to run rough, sputter, and stall out. If you need further assistance with your engine sputtering and stalling, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.