Q: Gear goop everywhere from driver side, near the axle/boot/frame

Transmission was replaced 2 mos ago. There has been a popping noise when putting the car into drive. Oil is good, tranny fluid good but a very large amount of gear goop leaking and resting on axle and frame. The leak is a Vaseline type consistentcy. I'm trying to pinpoint which part is needed or which direction to start troubleshooting or repair or what type or mechanic or repair shop to contact. Would also like to determine if the transmission shop is responsible for the problem/repair. Is it the axle? The joint? The boot? Rack? Pinion? Gear box? I need direction please and thank you.

A: This is a common sign of a failing CV joint...

This is a common sign of a failing CV joint. A CV (Constant Velocity) joint is a shaft that connects the transmission to the wheels, essentially transferring the power from the drive train directly to the wheels. The CV joint is packed with a special grease and sealed tight with the rubber or plastic boot, that is held in place with two clamps.

The most common problem with the CV joints is when the protective boot cracks or gets damaged. Once this happens, the grease comes out and moisture and dirt get in, causing the CV joint to wear faster and eventually fail due to lack of lubrication and corrosion. When the CV joint becomes damaged or worn, you may hear a clicking or popping sound coming from this area. You may also notice grease spatter around this area as you describe.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your issue firsthand and service your CV joints as necessary.