Q: Coolant leaking 2009 Volvo Diesel D5 engine

Hi,

I have recently noticed that coolant was leaking on my D5 Volvo 5cyl diesel engine.

• Coolant was between MIN and MAX marks when I left, no apparent leaks while driving, but when the car was stopped/cold, I noticed the coolant was down to the MIN value.
  • there is no white exhaust smoke,
  • the coolant hoses are not hard when the engine is running and hot,
  • the car has no loss of power and seems to be running normally.

At first the coolant leak was slow and I couldn't notice anything dripping under the car. Then with a coolant system pressure tester I put pressure at 1 bar, and the needle was dropping quickly. I could hear a big air leak at the right of the expansion vase.

After putting the system under pressure, I started the car again and now I can see a leak clearly under the car to the ground at the left side of the engine opposite the expansion vase.

I put paper under and the leak is clean/clear coolant.

What could please be the cause?

Thank you for your help

A: Hello - coolant leaks have many sources, so...

Hello - coolant leaks have many sources, sometimes very subtle to locate. Since coolant evaporates on a hot engine, it is often hard to trace to it’s source. It is still possible you have a blown head gasket (early stages), or simply a leaking pipe/hose connection, freeze plug, or other housing that attaches to the engine coolant system. I would recommend a cooling system inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic trained in tracking down these problems, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.