Q: Trouble starting and can't find disengage switch to put into neutral

I have multiple problems. First, when waiting for the car to turn over when jumping it, the fan and accessory lights flash on. Plus, the car is making a kind of click sound. Since my car is AWD, it can’t be taken out of park, so the back wheels locked and the tow-truck driver couldn’t find the disengage switch to put it in neutral. Is all of this an electrical problem, or something else?

A: Hello. This is an electrical issue as all o...

Hello. This is an electrical issue as all of these problems are related a lack of voltage. From what you are saying, the battery needs to be load tested to see if it is failing. The battery is more than likely the issue. If the battery is fine, then it may be a bad ignition switch or it may have a connection issue at the battery cables. It is common for the negative battery cable ground connections to be loose or corroded and cause this. All of this should be checked first and if nothing is found, then it may be the control module. If you plan on having this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your car starting issue and your trouble shifting into neutral.