Q: Transmission wont engage Drive or 3rd Gear

I was driving my car and hit a bump hard, as soon as I hit my drive stopped working. I can shift the gears but Drive and 3rd gear do not engage. 2nd will slip a lot but 1st and reverse work fine. I changed my transmission fluid after that to see if i could find the problem easy but inside my pan was a chunk of something? I'm not sure what it is but my car is just sitting.

A: Hello, thanks for writing in. Of course, th...

Hello, thanks for writing in. Of course, the timing of the transmission breakdown you experienced and the impact you are describing is too coincidental to be unrelated. You have not described any damage to the transmission oil pan, which would have been my first thought as the pan is closest to the ground and if it were hit (dented) such could affect the internal valve body assembly or linkages. The external shift linkage(s) should be checked for damage. The shift linkage controls the manual valve in the transmission which valve has to be in the right position(s), depending on your gear selection, for the transmission to actually work.

With regard to the debris in the pan, if it is a sizable chunk of solid metal. Obviously that could be an important clue (be sure to save if it is to show the mechanic). A mechanic would first look at the obvious and relatively simple causes for the shift faults that you are describing, and the components that would control wiring to the transmission and the valve body itself. If you would like to have the shifting problem inspected, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician will be able to come to your home or office to diagnose the issue and advise on the proper repair.