Q: Q: Transmission issue

Started out when my Girlfriend was driving in the morning, Second stop sign she stopped at, halfway through the intersection, the van was revving. Engine light on. I went there to push van to side of road in neutral. Seen that no matter I go into reverse or drive, it will not move, just rev. I unhooked the battery so maybe the computer can reset whatever was wrong, no go. Oil checks regularly, transmission flush at 110K, and the van does have a history of travelling to far places. Ontario to Florida, Ontario to vancouver, and 800Km trips once in a while. An 800Km trip was done 2 days prior to this happening. Brought it to a repair shop, said to bring it to transmission shop. Hoping this does not sound like the whole transmission is shot.

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. With the engine only revving up and the transmission is not moving in any direction forward or reverse, then there is a problem with the pump in the transmission. The transmission oil pump has lost its pressure and is not applying the forward and reverse input clutches inside the transmission.

To check this you’ll need to get a high pressure line to check the oil pressure on the transmission and locate the transmission front part of the housing. There should be a plug on the housing. With the engine off, remove the plug and install the high pressure gauge (0 - 300psi). Start up the vehicle and monitor what the pressure is. If there is very little pressure, then the pump is worn and needs replaced. If the pressure is high at around 90 psi or higher, then the clutches inside the transmission is are worn and the transmission would need an overhaul.

If you want a second opinion about your transmission issue, then seek out a professional, like one from YourMechanic, who can check your oil pump pressures and diagnose the Check Engine Light firsthand.

3. Q: Transmission issue