Q: My Check Engine Light is on - code P0010. The intake camshaft position actuator solenoid may be faulty.

I got a OBM-2 troubleshooting reading of P0010 stating that the intake camshaft position actuator solenoid control circuit bank 1 may be faulty. Their listed as AA1 , AA2, AA3. The car has lately been hesitating at higher rpm's while driving. I originally thought before getting the readings that the fuel injectors were clogged or needing cleaned out. I do put high test gas in the car every other fill up. But now the engine light is on and so is the service esc traction control light. I am almost certain that its just the solenoid needing replaced. I took the cover off the top of the motor to look at the solenoids, and their is some dryed up oil or something of the sort where the solenoids are located but I don't know for sure if that would be the cause of this situation? Any advice you could throw my way you put my mind at ease. I literally just paid this car off, and up till this point, its ran fine. I had your mechanic come out twice, once to replace the spark plugs & belt.

Hello. The P0010 code indicates a bigger difference in the cam timing (relative to the crankshaft) than should be possible with variable valve timing, which this engine employs. This could be the variable valve timing actuator on the camshaft as you mention, but it could also be a worn/stretched timing chain, weak timing chain tensioner, or worn timing chain guides.

If worn timing components are the problem, you might also hear irregular metallic rapping or clanking noises while the engine is running. I would recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, determine why the Check Engine Light is on. The ESC and traction control light issue is likely related to a wheel speed sensor problem, and reading all the codes will provide more information for that fault as well.

3. My Check Engine Light is on - code P0010. The intake camshaft position actuator solenoid may be faulty.