Q: Intermittent clunk under floorboard

asked by on October 27, 2016

The truck has play in front end. Both Sears auto and dodge dealer claim normal.

However I notice an intermittently light clunk noise coming, from what seems, under the driver side floor board. It only seems noticeable traveling hwy speeds. It goes away for a long time than will start back up.

I had Sears and dodge looked at and found no problem. I have researched online and keep seeing ball joint sounding like issue?

I am extremely puzzled.

Ball joints are a fairly common repair item on these trucks and when they fail, customers usually explain some of the same symptoms you are describing now. There is an allowable amount of play for some components as there must be room for things to move around, but these tolerances are still very tight. Loose or worn ball joints or control arm bushings are usually to blame.

Try having the front end parts lubricated if there are grease fittings to do so. Have the engine mounts checked as well because they bolt up somewhat near the suspension and a failed engine mount will cause a clunk too. Consider hiring an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic to take the vehicle for a spin and take a close look at what’s going on.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, consider having one of our mobile technicians diagnose the noise firsthand and service the necessary components.