Q: Transmission

What would cause my transmission not to go into 1st gear and not down shift

Hello. I will help you with your question about the transmission on your Chevrolet S10. There are both electronic and hydraulic shift controls in your vehicle. A likely cause of the failure to shift or downshift is a valve in the valve body (including solenoid actuated valves) failing or sticking. It is also possible that a hydraulically actuated piston in the transmission that actuates a clutch pack is leaking or an O-ring on a piston has torn or worn out. Pressure testing can reveal some of these issues or at least distinguish between a hydraulic problem versus an electrical control problem. Valve body issues can usually be dealt with without removing the transmission from the vehicle. If it turns out that a piston has failed, essentially the transmission has to be removed and rebuilt. If you would like to have a professional inspect this for you, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the shifting issue and advise you on the right repair.

3. Transmission