Q: The crankshaft sensor blows when car is put in reverse.

I have a 2001 Chrysler Pt Cruiser. I purchased it with the understanding that the car runs great but it shuts off and burn out the crank shaft sensor when you place the car in reverse. How can I correct this? Why does it burn out the crankshaft sensor? The car has no other problems.

The problem is going to be caused by a short in the harness that goes down to the crankshaft sensor. Check to see if the motor and transmission mounts are broken allowing the engine to move too far and hitting or pinching the wire harness on the engine. You may find the mount is the cause of the problem and a harness repair to fix to the problem.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr