Q: Q: transmission

So my jeep is having transmission problems of some sort. And before i replace the transmission i want to make sure it isnt a easier fix. It started taking a while to shift gears like it would go to high rpms before it would change then one day i was going down the road and it just started reving up like it was in netural and wouldnt go into gear. If i cut the jeep off and wait a few mins i can crank it up put it in gear and it will drive only for a minute then it will go out of gear again. I changed the fluid and filter the other day and thought that fixed it because i was able to drive it all the way to the store and back but when i got home it was back to not moving. I was told it could possibly be the throttle position sensor isnt adjusted right. I did replace my tps a few days before it went out. Do you think its possible it could be the throttle position sensor? What are your thoughts and suggestions? Thanks!!

With your car having 250,000 miles on it, some mechanical issues may be expected at this point. I am assuming here that the transmission has this many miles as well. This is about the time that all the friction material in the transmission has worn off of the clutches. What happens as you drive is the friction material gets sucked into the filter screens inside the transmission. When this occurs, the transmission will clog and won’t have a gear. When you turn off the motor, it allows this friction material to fall off the screens and it can then move again. It is worth it to do a machine flush - not a standard drop the pan and filter flush replacement.

A machine flush is more like a transfusion than a drain and fill. A drain and fill does not get all the fluid out of the transmission. A machine flush does. If you haven’t already, definitely replace the filter in the pan. In this case, you may need to replace it and then drop the pan after the machine flush and clean the filter again.

This is a last ditch effort to save your transmission, so be warned that you could do all this and it may not save the transmission. It may be time for a new one regardless. If you want to have this inspected before condemning the transmission, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the shifting issue and let you know what needs repair.

3. Q: transmission