Q: Engine kicking on startup when it's cold

asked by on May 17, 2016

I have a 2001 Jimmy with 4.3 L engine that kicks on startup when cold. It feels like too much advanced. It runs fine after starting.

Car is hard to start Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

The first thing you’d want to do is check the ignition timing. It is possible that it is too far advanced.

If it is too far advanced, odds are, it’s going to need a timing chain, which can be very typical for those things. But, of course, you’d want to have the battery, the alternator, and the starter checked because if any of them are weak, it might not get enough power and kick a bit. But a lot of times it is the timing chain that is worn. So, get that checked out first. Your best bet may be to have this looked at by a professional, such as one from YourMechanic. They will be able to diagnose your car’s hard starting issue if it is starting to become a major problem.