Q: The engine makes a noise when it is in neutral or when i drive.

asked by on December 21, 2016

when the car is in neutral its makes this noise and at times when im drivin i can hear the noise. its 73000 on the clock apart frm tht its ok it a 10 plate what can it be

Serpentine/Drive Belt Replacement $95.44 - $301.27 Get a Quote
Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. The noise you are hearing could be the torque converter (automatic) or clutch (manual). The part could be loose or have a balance issue causing the part to move around and make some sort of noise. If the torque converter or clutch is good, then the transmission may be emitting a noise as a bearing or gear may be failing. Also, the noise could be a noise with the drive belt making a noise as the belt could be worn. If you need further assistance with a noise you are hearing at idle and sometime during driving, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.