Q: Gmc jimmy started sounding like a go kart even louder upon accelerating.

What can cause jimmy to sound like a go kart? It's even louder upon accelerating, Have also smelled some exaust fumes on driver side. Could it be doing gasket or convertor?

Hello, thank you for writing in. The increase in engine noise is very likely due to an exhaust leak. As with my own personal S10 at this age, the exhaust manifold gaskets are the first to go. You may also want to check the catalytic converter and the muffler to make sure they are in good condition as well. Performing a smoke test or similar test to locate any and all exhaust leaks is the quickest way to pinpoint exactly where you need to focus. You are likely having a decrease in gas mileage as well, as the engine is not performing as it was designed. For more help locating and confirming an exhaust leak(s), contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. Gmc jimmy started sounding like a go kart even louder upon accelerating.