Q: Cylinder eight misfiring on a '96 Ford Thunderbird

I have a '96 Ford Thunderbird. My car has a misfiring on the cylinder number eight. I can sort of control it by changing the spark plugs since it's drenched with oil. Is ther something I could do without opening the engine?

A: Unfortunately, there really isn't. You&...

Unfortunately, there really isn't. You're getting them drenched with oil and putting the new one and it runs okay for a while. That means that it's burning oil back there. It probably has bad piston rings on number eight being that it is 20 years old.

It probably needs an engine rebuild. You can try the old trick and get fowler adapters on that one. You can get the special adapters and screw it on the spark plug and then screw it on the engine. That makes the spark plug sit higher so that oil won't flood it as much. Sometimes they would run a year or two more that way and still go. You might try that. But eventually, if you keep it long enough, you're going to have to rebuild the engine and that will cost an awful lot of money.