Q: Can I turn off the SES Light ?

asked by on May 08, 2017

I would like to turn off the SES Light. I don't need its' reminder. How ???

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The purpose of the SES light is to alert you that there is a malfunction in the engine or powertrain. When the SES light turns on, you can attach a code scanner to the vehicle’s OBD-II port under the steering wheel and then the trouble codes that have caused the SES light to illuminate can be downloaded and interpreted. Then a diagnostic has to be be performed to find the root cause of the malfunction. The trouble codes provide clues only; individual parts referred to in the codes have to be separately tested in order to ensure that ONLY failed parts are replaced. Although a code scanner can turn the SES light off, the scanner can’t do so permanently and so in your circumstance the SES light will turn right back on again, usually immediately, unless the underlying fault in the engine is corrected.

When the SES light is on, vehicle efficiency may be sub optimal and some faults can cause damage to various engine systems and associated parts such as the catalytic converter. The best thing to do whenever the SES light comes on is request a SES/Check Engine Light diagnostic. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will come to your location, download the trouble codes, run the necessary tests and let you know exactly what has failed and why. If you authorize the indicated repairs, the mechanic will perform that as well, again right at your location. Once all necessary repairs are complete, the SES light should stay off, at least so long as no new malfunctions crop up. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.