Q: The car won't start

It started making a grinding growling sound when started till one it just stopped turning over or even starting and has an exhaust smell

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Hello. I’m guessing your battery is shot. What you are smelling is likely your battery. Does it look like it’s swelling? If so, it is toast. Be extremely careful when replacing it because when a battery gets to this point, it could bust at any second. If you are uncomfortable performing this task, a qualified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home to inspect the exhaust smell and the no-start condition.