Q: The car won't start after the gas is put in

asked by on May 23, 2016

My car wouldn't turn on after I fill in gas. I'm not sure what could be the problem. Could it be a clogged filter or worn fuel pump? Please give me some advice on how to fix this problem?

Hello. Most of the time, if your car suddenly will crank and not start after fueling, it is because of a failed fuel pump. The fuel pump in the fuel tank is kept cool with the fuel in the tank. If the fuel was very low, then the pump would get too hot and then when you add cool fuel into the tank that causes the pump to fail. This happens all of the time.

I start by checking the fuel pressure first to see if the pump is coming on. If it is not, then voltage at the pump needs to be checked to see if there is power. If there is power, then the pump needs to be replaced. If you need to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your starting issue and replace your fuel pump if necessary.