Q: Just bought my car not to long ago with a decent amount of mods done, I cleaned the cold air intake filter and now it makes a pop.

Occasionally around every 1-2 second my cold air intake filter will pop, ever since I cleaned it with the k&N cleaner it has been doing this. I haven't noticed a lack in power or performance of the car.

When it comes to these cold air intakes and K&N type filters, the engine air flow is different than the original and your engine control module may not be able to correctly read the amount of air that the engine is ingesting.

The first thing to do is remove the air filter and check and clean the mass airflow sensor. Disconnect the battery and wait at least 30 minutes then reconnect the battery. This clears the computer’s short-term memory and will allow it to learn the air flow of the aftermarket filter and tube.

Check to make sure you do not have any kind of air leaking into the engine between the mass airflow sensor and the throttle body. Test drive your vehicle and see after about 10 to 20 miles of stop and go traffic to see if the problem gets better. If it still has issues then look into putting the factory parts back on to see if this corrects the issue. If you would like to have the car inspected, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the problem and replace the cold intake air filter if necessary.

3. Just bought my car not to long ago with a decent amount of mods done, I cleaned the cold air intake filter and now it makes a pop.