Q: Whining sound during acceleration and fourth gear not working on a '92 Ranger

92 Ranger. Three years ago, I had the clutch replaced. It drives and shifts fine but when I start accelerating, I hear a high-pitched whining sound that changes with the RPMs. It does all gears but fourth. Any thoughts?

Since you’ve said it doesn’t do the fourth gear but can do other gears, the bearings in the transmission are worn out. You might change the fluid in the transmission and put in heavier weight, maybe full-synthetic gearbox oil, and see what happens. As long as you can drive it, just drive it. Because hardly anybody rebuilds those standard transmissions. They are kind of hard to rebuild. They generally just put used ones. And to buy a new one would cost a fortune. So, change the transmission fluid and see how long it lasts. And if that doesn’t work out, then you will probably need to put the used transmission in.

3. Whining sound during acceleration and fourth gear not working on a '92 Ranger