Q: Car doesn't move when in gear 2007 Ford Focus

asked by on March 10, 2017

Car will go into gear but won't move.

Gears slipping when accelerating Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello - there are several possibilities here: first, perhaps the shifter cable(s) have broken, or detached themselves from the shifter or transmission, and you’re not really in gear (hope for this - this is the least expensive to fix. Second - a spider gear or shaft in the differential portion of the transaxle may have broken, creating a break in the "power path" to the wheels (might well be grinding or metallic knocking noises from under the hood). Third - the cluch disc may have come apart, which would also create noise. Fourth - a shaft, gear or bearing in the transaxle may have failed - also causing noise. I recommend a transmission inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.