Q: The car idles rough and is shooting out codes p0017, p0016.

asked by on October 12, 2016

The vehicle started idling rough so I changed the spark plugs and the boots that control the signal. It did not change the rough idle. I then cleaned the throttle body. After the i rial cleaning the car ran really rough and the check engine light came on. This was the first time the p0016 p0017 codes came up. They have been on ever since. The vehicle then idled high for a bit and started going back to the rough idle. I then cleaned the throttle body more thoroughly. When it started back the idle bounced consistently. I then replaced the camshaft and crankshaft sensors. And most recently replaced the throttle body. None of these replacement had any effect on codes or rough idle

Hello. This is a common problem with the variable valve timing solenoid on this engine. I have changed quite a few of these due to failure. I always start by checking the codes and testing the solenoids and the connectors as some of the time the connectors fail and have poor connections. There have been a few times that I have seen these codes due to low oil or the wrong oil and from the camshaft actuators failing, but most of the time it is due to the solenoids. If you are planning on having this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair the rough idling issue for you.