Q: I changed the axles in my car now I am having some transmission fluid leaking out.

asked by on February 26, 2017

I changed the front axles on both sides in my car. The drivers side went smooth sailing. When I took the passenger side out there was a shaft of some sort that came out with the axle. When I put the new on in the shaft seemed to slide back into place no problem and I finished installing the axle. A couple of days later I noticed that there was transmission fluid leaking out. I can not see the leak and the fluid is bright red not dirty. It seems like it is coming from the middle area in between the two axles. The car seems to drive fine...just need to figure out what that leak may be so I can go in and fix before it worsens.

Axle Shaft Seal Replacement $110.62 - $3656.80 Get a Quote

There are spring loaded rubber seals that are pressed into a recess on each side of the aluminum differential case and through which the axle shaft rides. These seals must be replaced whenever the axles are replaced, otherwise transmission fluid leaks are likely. To access the seals and replace them the axles will have to be removed. Please note that the seals have to be placed squarely within the bore and that requires a seal installer. If the new seal is not installed such that the seal lip is perfectly perpendicular to the axle (i.e., not cocked in the bore), the new seal will leak as well. A special tool is required to pull the seals out. If you desire that new seals be placed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request axle shaft seal installation and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.