Q: Q: Radio/navigation/telephone system freezes

A few weeks after purchasing my car, the radio/navigation/telephone system started freezing. The gps, radio, telephone etc. A central touch screen panel on the dashboard controls all of them. Suddenly, the gps will become unresponsive to touch and then can not be used. This is randomly happening, but does keep repeating. It happens after a few miles of driving when it becomes unresponsive to touch and then remains that way until the car is turned off and then started again. This especially happens on hot days. In my research, this has happened to many others who own this make/model and their only solution for a permanent fix has been to replace the navigation system. There is a service bulletin from Toyota T-tt-0336-15 that mentions the problem. I have already been to the dealership ‘3’ times because of this and I keep being told that they can't ‘reproduce’ the problem and thus want to analyze it further. I showed them multiple videos, but they refused to acknowledge or help. They asked me to contact NHTSA if I have any complaint or keep going through their analysis process. What can I do to get this recognized as a problem and get it repaired? Thanks.

When diagnosing cars technicians can only go off the symptoms they can duplicate. This can be complicated by intermittent issues such as this. Intermittent issues can be caught using various electrical testing procedures but the fault has to happen when the vehicle is being looked at for this to work. Service bulletins are guidelines for how to repair the problem, but may not fit every scenario. Since the dealer doesn’t seem like much help, I’d recommend contacting a qualified technician who can diagnose the issue with your navigation system firsthand. An accurate repair can then be made once the problem has been pinpointed.

3. Q: Radio/navigation/telephone system freezes