Q: The battery light shows on my dash, and my car wont start. Should I replace my alternator or battery?

When I turn on the battery my lights and everything works. The dash shows a battery symbol, among other lights. When I put in the clutch and try to start my car, it wont start. I jumped it and it worked perfectly, up until I turned it off. I would like to take it to the dealership only I don't want to spend a fortune on costs. Question is: Should I replace my battery or my alternator?

Hi there. If you’re primary goal is to not spend a small fortune on repairs or diagnosis, I wouldn’t take your VW to the dealership. I would recommend having a professional mechanic come to your location to determine whether your battery or alternator (or possibly both) are damaged and need to be replaced first by having them complete a battery will not hold a charge inspection. This can save you a tremendous amount of time, money and stress by having the issue correctly diagnosed first, so the right repairs can be made.

3. The battery light shows on my dash, and my car wont start. Should I replace my alternator or battery?