Q: sticky speedometer

while driving at around 55 to 60 mph my speedometer is sticky. when I hit the brakes at that speed, the speedometer jumps to 68 ish before it starts dropping down. also it reads 5 to 7 mph at a stop or just parked. while driving if I tap on the dash board the speedometer jumps.

A: The instrument cluster is the cause of this...

The instrument cluster is the cause of this problem. The cluster would need to be replaced or removed and sent out for repairs if it’s salvageable. I recommend having the cluster replaced, you’ll be able to get a new one and program it to work with your vehicle. If you send out your cluster for repairs, it may take more than a few weeks and your vehicle cannot be driven while the cluster is out.

The new cluster can be ordered and installed by the dealer since the reprogramming scanner is a dealer service only. That being said, I’d recommend having a certified mechanic check out your vehicle, they will be able to accurately verify the fault of your speedometer.