Q: Loud humming noise

I just went to goto the store I started my van it instantly started making this loud humming noise almost sounds like a loud fan when it's in park or I'm stopped it's really loud when I push on the gas it's getstill quieter the alternator is really hot someone said it was going out another person said it's a pump I know a little about cars but not alot and need help please

A: Hi. There are several mechanical issues tha...

Hi. There are several mechanical issues that typically make a loud humming noise under the hood of most cars. One in particular that might be the source of your problem is the alternator as your friend suggested. Commonly, the humming sound is produced from a belt that is loose or the alternator drive motor that is quickly wearing out. However, it could also be related to the fan belt, AC or other mechanically driven component on your 2006 Grand Caravan - especially with 182,000 miles on the vehicle.

Due to the fact that there could be multiple problems with your Grand Caravan, the best solution here is to contact a local ASE certified mechanic that can come to your home or work, take your Grand Caravan for a test drive, diagnose the noise and fix it as soon as possible. Belt issues can be easily solved, and an alternator is pretty simple to replace. However, if the issue isn't diagnosed sooner rather than later, it could morph into more expensive repairs. Best of luck and thanks for writing into YourMechanic.com today.