Q: Car won't accelerate - 2005 Hyundai Tucson

It seems that when I'm on the highway, and there's a lot of traffic, so I have to break and accelerate numerous times, the car heats up and I cannot accelerate. I had to pull over, and for the rest of the trip stay in the right lane. This happened on a couple of trips, but when the speed rate is more or less consistent, I don't seem to have this problem.

A: Hi there. Although it's hard to diagnos...

Hi there. Although it's hard to diagnose a problem remotely, I believe the root issue that may be causing most of the acceleration problems are overheating issues. Sometimes when an engine overheats, it triggers and error code to trim back fuel flow or reduce the acceleration on the vehicle (in attempt to control the temperature). Usually, when a vehicle overheats in traffic it is due to a problem with the fan or the thermostat failing to open when it should. The best way to pinpoint the source of the issue is to have a local mechanic diagnose the acceleration problem and repair the root cause of the issue.