Q: Chain scraping noise - 2008 Honda Civic

My car is making a scraping noise I was told it could be the CV axle. The noise is coming from the front of the car. And gets louder as the car accelerates.

It could be the CV axle, but it could also be a rock stuck in between dust shield of the brakes, the brakes could be metal-to-metal, or a wheel bearing could be bad. The CV axle is actually the least likely source of a scraping sound from the front end. The front end will need to be inspected to be sure, which means the front of the car will need to be lifted, the front wheels should be turned by hand to see if the noise is audible by hand. At that point, you will need to follow the sound to its source. If turning the wheels by hand doesn’t reveal a sound, both wheels will need to be removed and a more detailed visual inspection will need to follow.

The most common source of scraping noises at the front of a car are a rock stuck in the dust shield and a failed wheel bearing. Finding the rock can be a bit challenging at times as they hide in some very tight spots. You will need a good flash light and something, such as a long screwdriver to remove the rock.

Wheel bearings often need to be loaded by the car to be noisy. If you find that there isn’t a noise when you turn the wheels by hand, this could be the case. If the wheel bearing is bad enough, it will be obvious when you spin the wheels. This is a very common situation. If you find this is the case for you, put the car back on the ground and go for a drive. Warning Always drive safely. Once you are back on the road, turn the wheel side to side so you can side load the front wheels. When you swerve left you will be loading the right front tire and vice versa. You are listening for a change in the sound that will hopefully occur when you side load the bearing.

If you need help pinpointing the cause of the noise, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to guide you through repairs.