Q: Car struggles to go into the reverse gear and makes a clunking noise

I struggle to get to reverse gear and it makes a clunking noise. But all the other gears are ok. Even with the engine off I still can't get reverse at all.the only way I get reverse gear is to keep my hand on the gear stick and release the clutch like I'm moving off then I hear the clunk noise then it goes into the reverse gear.

A: Other consumers report the type of issue yo...

Other consumers report the type of issue you have with various years and models of BMW but the reports are model specific. If you do a Google search ("difficulty getting reverse BMW "model, year") for your car, you can try the various strategies that I see published. I would suggest one, but I do not know which model you have. If none of those work out for you, that would point to there being a mechanical fault with the reverse synchronizer and related assembly in the transmission. That latter possibility being strongest of course if this difficulty in shifting is a "new" issue that you are experiencing. If you need help diagnosing the shifting issue, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to inspect the vehicle and advise on the repair.