Q: Car struggles to go into the reverse gear and makes a clunking noise

asked by on October 30, 2016

I struggle to get to reverse gear and it makes a clunking noise. But all the other gears are ok. Even with the engine off I still can't get reverse at all.the only way I get reverse gear is to keep my hand on the gear stick and release the clutch like I'm moving off then I hear the clunk noise then it goes into the reverse gear.

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Other consumers report the type of issue you have with various years and models of BMW but the reports are model specific. If you do a Google search ("difficulty getting reverse BMW "model, year") for your car, you can try the various strategies that I see published. I would suggest one, but I do not know which model you have. If none of those work out for you, that would point to there being a mechanical fault with the reverse synchronizer and related assembly in the transmission. That latter possibility being strongest of course if this difficulty in shifting is a "new" issue that you are experiencing. If you need help diagnosing the shifting issue, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the vehicle and advise on the repair.