Q: Q: Car won't start

My car wouldn't start a couple weeks ago. I turn the key into Aux and I can hear the fuel pump starting but it sounds like the car turns over, then quits a second later. Normally when I turn my key my fuel gauge shows me how much fuel I have shown by the needle. But I know when my car won't start because the needle never rises. I turn my key into Aux and the needle stays although the lights on the dash come on. The engine does not make a clicking sound, and the light turn on, so I was told it was not my battery. My car started a couple days after with no issues at all. Then a couple days ago it wouldn't start. It was also showing signs of my battery being dead so I got a jump from a friend. While hooked up to her car, my car was showing the same signs as before. Engine sounds like it turns over, then dies. Fuel gauge needle not showing gas properly, etc... I know the battery is bad and I'm getting a new one, but I wanna know what this other problem is. Thanks a bunch in advance.

Hello there, many faults will cause your 2003 Oldsmobile Alero to not start. You have done well in determining the battery needs replaced, when the battery begins to die it can cause strange intermittent electrical problems before it dies fully. Replacing the battery could solve the issues you are having. If it does not then other potential causes are the fuel pump, starter, ignition switch, fuel filter, battery cable, or a wiring harness fault. A qualified Technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your starting issues and make any repairs required.

Hello, thank you for writing in. With no response from the fuel system, it is safe to say that there is at least an issue with the level sending system. Considering the fuel level sensor, pump, and filter are all part of a module, you will have to replace everything anyway. There are several tests you can do, but by the time you pay for diagnostics, you might as well just replace the pump considering the age of the vehicle. Make sure the exterior fuel filter gets changed at the same time. There are at least two. One is inside the tank, and one is before it enters the engine. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. Q: Car won't start