Q: my toyota Noah suddenly engine shuts down followed by loss of power after driving long distance at high speed.

asked by on November 29, 2016

I have a Noah 2007 1AZ engine. I usually pull a trailer with load. My car has this issue: Car engine will suddenly shut down if i do long distances 200km and above driving between 90km/h and 110km/h. All dashboard lights come on normally. If i restart the car immediately the car will have no power, I mean i depress the acceleration pedal and the car will not go past 50km/h and the engine will shut down again after a short distance. The engine shutdown and decrease in power problem will continue until the car does only a speed of 10km/h! Engine coolant level is ok, All engine fans turn on ok, engine light does not stay on, overheating light indicator is always blue in colour never red. When this problems happens while driving I open the car bonnet [there is a lot of heat from the engine] and let the engine cool for 10-20min. then drive on but at speeds below 80km/h. The car will also behave the same without pulling the trailer, just as long as I do high speeds and drive long distance.

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there:

Unfortunately, we don’t see a lot of Toyota Noah’s here in the United States, so it’s very difficult for us to help you diagnose your problem. However, in the US, when a vehicle like yours has this type of issue, the first thing we often do is complete a diagnostic scan with a scanning tool to download any error codes that are stored in the Engine Control Module. This will typically indicate if there are electrical sensors that are damaged or mechanical components that need to be replaced.