Front left tire clicking noise bmw 325i 1988 l6-2.5l

Q: Front left tire clicking noise

asked by on September 05, 2017

Hi.. as mentioned above, an intermittent clicking noise can be heard from the front left tire. It only happens on smooth tarmac.(not on bumps). As i accelerate, the noise goes faster(same case as when a small rock is stuck in a tire) .I removed the tire and checked: no small rocks stuck in the tire or in the brake caliper or any component in front. I don't think it's a wheel bearing cause the latter, when is worn out, causes a howling noise which is not my case. What seems to be the problem? Note: i'm heading towards changing my coil springs and shock absorbers due to age. Can aged struts cause such noise? thank you

What you are describing sounds like a failing CV joint. A CV (Constant Velocity) joint is a shaft that connects the transmission to the wheels, essentially transferring the power from the drive train directly to the wheels. The CV joint is packed with a special grease and sealed tight with the rubber or plastic boot, that is held in place with two clamps. The most common problem with the CV joints is when the protective boot cracks or gets damaged. Once this happens, the grease comes out and moisture and dirt get in, causing the CV joint to wear faster and eventually fail due to lack of lubrication and corrosion. When the CV joint becomes damaged or worn, you may hear a clicking, clunking or popping sound coming from this area as the weight of the vehicle puts pressure on this area and shifts back and forth and side to side. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.