Q: Car won't shift gears

asked by on February 02, 2016

My van was acting like it wasn't shifting gears. Then when we pulled over, and it started leaking transmission fluid. Now it won't go.

Two scenarios: the leak developed as you were driving. It only takes the loss of 2 quarts before the transmission starts to act up. There is about 13 quarts of fluid though. The location of the leak needs to be determined. Some examples of leaks that happen quickly would be the axle seals, a blown cooler hose, or the cooler itself. The other option is that the transmission was overheated. It would not shift correctly when hot. When you pulled over the fluid ran out of the vent. Either way, I would have this issue inspected. I would recommend having a transmissions fluid service as soon as possible to help solve your gear shifting issue.