Q: Truck has trouble starting, idle's too low, losing power, check engine light is on.

I took my truck to the mechanic this morning who said that the spark plugs were wet so he did an engine compression test, which resulted in low 85 compression. He says the engine needs to be replaced. My question is, could anything else be causing these readings? What could cause my engine to fail this way? I drove the truck over an hour+ away on Tuesday and had a little trouble starting it 2 hours later, but it made the 1 hour drive home just fine. Are there any other options besides replacing the engine, that might fix the truck even temporarily?

A: You may want to try and run some combustion...

You may want to try and run some combustion cleaner into the intake. You can get the good cleaner from any Ford parts store. You use a small rubber hose and allow it to get sucked into the engine slowly and then let the engine sit for about 30 minutes then run a second can into the engine until it is gone and shut off engine and let sit 30 minutes. Start and rev the engine several times to loose any loose carbon and burn off any excess. This may increase the compression and help the valves seal better. It should help with the hard start also. If you need some assistance with this or the problem continues to persist, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come diagnose your starting problem for an accurate repair.