Q: Steering is Stiff

asked by on August 07, 2017

I recently got my car fixed in an auto shop. They were replacing the TPS and while they did that, they topped off my power steering fluid. The first thing I noticed when I got my car back was that the steering was a bit stiff and screeched at slow speeds. It was not super stiff that it would take a lot of muscle to turn the wheel, but stiff enough where the wheel would not turn back to it's original position sometimes. I am curious as to what other reasons could cause a slightly stiff steering wheel and if it is a serious enough condition to be looked at immediately. Thank you!

The power steering fluid may have been overfilled and fluid is getting on the power steering belt causing it to slip. Check belt to see if it is wet with fluid? If it is then check power steering fluid to see if they filled it above the fill line? If so then the pump will spit out extra fluid and may get belt wet with fluid and cause slipping.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr