Q: Steering wheel noise, wheels rolled over the tires' sidewall

I've noticed a popping noise each time I turn the steering wheel to the limit. It makes a single, loud sound. Another issue I've noticed is with the wheels. They look like they are rolled over the tires' side wall. This is apparent when I park the car with the wheels on the front turned to side. What should I do?

A: Hello there, this is not a common fault on ...

Hello there, this is not a common fault on the 2002 Mercedes CL500. There are a few potential causes for a clunk like this. The most likely would be a failed ball joint, failing power steering rack, tie rod end, or a strut mount. If the tires sidewall appears damaged it should not be driven on as sidewall damage can cause tire failure. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose this popping noise and address the tire sidewall condition.