Q: Starting problems, transmission stuck on 2007 BMW 530xi

asked by on August 16, 2016

About a month ago, I had trouble starting the car. After I jump-started it, the car ran fine. There was a battery light illuminated on the dash. The other day, it again had difficult startup. I managed to restart it but when I was about to shift gears, the shifter was stuck. It wouldn't move at all. The dash panel was showing the clutch warning light illuminated in red with an exclamation mark along with the transmission fault light on. What should I do?

Alternator Replacement $149.30 - $1391.75 Get a Quote
Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi. A battery light on the dashboard is the number one sign of a bad alternator. The alternator keeps the battery charged. Without a strong power source, some features on the vehicle may not function properly, which may set off warning lights on the dashboard. Replacing the alternator and/or battery will likely make your warning lights go away. Have the starting problem diagnosed by a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic.