Q: Squeaky noise while braking(similar to the sound you would hear when an old rail engine comes to halt).

Hello Yourmechanic Superheroes! I have a 2014 Dodge challenger which i bought in March 2014. So far i have not had any major issues and i was able to run it with just getting the minimum maintenance required as stated in the manual. When i brake, the car responds well and stops safely. But what has been annoying is that they give out a squeaky noise most of the times while braking. This happens even at low speeds such as 5-10 MPH or even higher speeds. The sound comes out when the vehicle almost comes to a stop. The sound is very similar so the sound you'd expect to hear in a movie where an old steam engine stops at a station. When i got this checked at an authorized Dodge dealership, they said that the brakes were working fine but would not give me any reason for the sound. I drove it over 20,000 miles with the same sound. But i was curious to know what the cause may be and how i could get it fixed. Thanks so much for your time!

Hi there:

In most cases, the "old steam engine train coming to a stop brake squeaking sound" (BTW - best description EVER), is caused by an excessive build up of brake dust in between the brake pad and the rotor. As the brakes are used; especially frequently during city driving or on winding roads, the brake pads develop excessive heat and wear out, creating a fine-dust that can collect in between multiple brake system components. There are a few ways to remove brake dust, mainly washing the wheels and spraying water behind them to remove the brake dust, or removing the wheel and using a brake cleaner to do the job. It’s not a problem typically; more of an annoying issue actually. However, if you’d like one of our fellow Superhero Mobile Mechanics to complete a brake inspection to ensure there is nothing wrong, we would be more than happy to help.

3. Squeaky noise while braking(similar to the sound you would hear when an old rail engine comes to halt).