Q: will a defective oil pressure sensing system prevent engine starting even if it turns over

i thought it had run out of fuel put fuel init would not start. changed filters proceeded to purge air as per instructions. fuel pump is working. as i cranked motor over it seemed to want start but would not.i observed there was no oil pressure indicated at cranking speed.then im told by my friend the oil pressure gauge and fuel gauge had been sporaticaly not working. realizing there would be engine protection for no oil pressure.my question is would a bad oil sensor or something in that protection system prevent engine from starting.

Hello. If the oil pressure sensor was bad it would not keep the vehicle from starting. If there is no oil pressure on the gauge when starting it then there is a supply issue. Most of the time this is an issue with the low pressure oil pump.

I usually start the diagnostic process by removing the pressure relief valve for the pump to make sure it is not sticking. If it is then it can be replaced and that may fix the issue. If not then it may need the pump.

If you need to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your starting issue firsthand.

3. will a defective oil pressure sensing system prevent engine starting even if it turns over