Q: What happens if the shift lever doesn’t move?

What happens if the shift lever doesn’t move?

A: Without an operational shift lever (gearshi...

Without an operational shift lever (gearshift), you’re not going to be driving very far. There are a couple of reasons that the shift lever might not move, so try this:

Make sure you have your foot firmly on the brake pedal. The gearshift won’t move if you don’t hold the brake.

If that’s not the problem, follow these steps:

1. Use a very small flathead screwdriver to remove the cap from the shift lock release cover. It’s located on the upper right of the shifter bezel.

2. Take the key out of the ignition and slide it into the slot.

3. Press down on the key and simultaneously move the gearshift to neutral.

You should be able to shift normally now. Keep your foot on the brake, crank the engine and drive the car. Have the shifter inspected immediately.