Q: car stalls when cold until warmed up

asked by on February 09, 2017

car runs rough right on start up when its cold. i have to keep it at about 2k-3k rpms almost to keep it started or it will stall out. after a few minutes and car warms a bit its totally fine. and if i shut car off even for a few as long as engine is still warm it starts back up no problem. CEL says bank 2 rear o2 but i dont see this being the absolute problem. thanks

It may be best to have a certified technician with the proper scan tool look into the check engine light fault as well as the entire system. Sometimes a fault will not set a code, or the code set is simply because something else is causing it. Your issue can be caused by a lazy or intermittent coolant temperature sensor for example. If the temperature sensor is not signaling the proper temperature to the engine control unit, it may not register a cold start - where the engine needs more fuel to run and run smoothly. With the proper scan tool, the technician can look at snapshot readings of all sensors and not just the stored code.