Q: My car slips on icy roads

Can you give any advice about what type of car is the most stable on icy roads (e.g., all-wheel drive versus two-wheel drive, or having wide wheelbase versus a narrow wheelbase)?

I ask because last year my Hyundai slid sideways off a freeway, across the shoulder, through a ditch into a fence. Ever since that happened, I am scared that my car (a hatchback) is not the right type of car for these winter conditions. Also, the rear end of my car jumps around when I am on bad pavement.

All-wheel drive is the best for driving in poor weather conditions. But, if you hit black ice, it really doesn’t matter what set up you have, you’re still going to loose traction.

In theory, a vehicle with a wide wheelbase should be a little better for driving in the winter, but really, it’s the drivetrain arrangement that makes the most difference. Here is a good article on how all-wheel drive works.

3. My car slips on icy roads